Sunday BBQ Podcast







Yma Sumac & Moises Vivanco: Inca Taqui 
Capitol L423 ten inch disc

I was riding to the Poobah Entertainment Complex on my adult tricycle, the saddle baskets loaded with rare vinyl -- Moby Grape, Korla Pandit, Yma Sumac and Ornette Coleman. I stopped at Walgreens to get some aspirin and a bottle of vitamin water. I was only going to be a minute. I forgot my lock. A big mistake. When I came out of the store, my trike and all its precious cargo had been pushed in front of a bus. I suspect it was the three boys sitting on skateboards in the handicapped zone.


The bus driver and Metro cop were trying to untangle the mangled carcass from underneath the bus. They looked pissed. I tried to intervene and at least salvage Grape Jam (Columbia MGS 1) and Skies of America (Columbia KC 31562) -- the officer put his hand on his side arm, barking "Back away from the crime scene." I pleaded my case, explaining how I had a show to do. He got on his chest mounted radio and called for back-up. I moved away.

Fuming, I walked home. Once in the kitchen, I gulped down vitamin water and ate a handful of granola. I boxed up the random LPs scattered across the living room floor, called dial-a-ride and arrived at the studio to find my co-host Dorian almost ready for the first cue.

Steve Escandon

Comments

Popular Posts